In preparation for WAC 6 in UCD next week we’ve brewed up a fresh brew of our Ale for general sampling and consumption on the day. Our brand new, watertight (ish), portable (ish) Fulacht held out after application of a good coat of (non toxic) bitumen paint externally. Our original fulacht, an old cattle trough, is now enjoying it’s retirement as a plant bed in Billy’s yard.
In the original experiment last year, the fact that our fulacht wasn’t completely watertight didn’t really matter – we simply flooded the entire pit and were able to successfully recover sufficient liquid to make large volumes of beer – but given the fact that this fulacht has to travel we had to ensure that it will function anywhere. Last weekends brew came out very clean. We decided to build a little dam of hot stones in the fulacht and covered it with a sheet of muslin as a preliminary filter. The resulting wort was very clean and appears to have a lot less sediment than our earlier brews. We overfilled the fulacht a little with water so it’s probable we’ll have a slightly weaker brew this time round. Rather than complicate the taste, we decided that we’d only add bog myrtle this time – to balance the sweetness of the wort and produce a very simple plain ale. Hopefully it’ll be palatable, if not tasty. We used a regular bakers yeast this time and it took very quickly, all bubbling happily away in the sheds, busy fermenting what will hopefully be our cleanest, tastiest ale to date.